Friends, I believe I’ve gone off the deep end.
Welcome to my new hobby: dollhouse miniatures!
Okay, okay, so this is VASTLY different from the kinds of art I normally share, but switching things up and working in different mediums keeps me balanced and thinking on my creative toes. These projects are just for me, to indulge my love of itty bitty things, and force me to creatively problem solve.
Because I actually don’t have mulah to spend on this kind of project, everything I’m using is either leftover from previous projects, random stuff from around the house, or gifted by friends who let me into their craft stash.
Something totally different
If you read my penny challenge post, you may have seen a tiny polymer clay bear made by Hannah Foss. Her piece really inspired me to take a crack at a medium I hadn’t touched much sense high school, but remember loving.
I focused on 3-D art classes in school, but it’s been years since I’ve done anything with it. So really, why not? I happen to have supplies lying around, and when I started to feel frustrated that a painting wasn’t going the way I wanted, I pulled out some clay and miscellaneous items from home renovations, and spend 13 hours binge-crafting a fireplace for a witch’s house.
Is binge-crafting the ideal? Well, it depends on who you ask really. But I’ve been feeling burnt out, and seem to have over-indulged a bit… but it was a fun weekend, and I made a couple fun, if spooky pieces.
The results of my weekend craft-binge
The fireplace was made with leftover tile pieces from my kitchen back splash, with the brickwork made from polymer clay and molded to fit. I did the spackling with tile adhesive, and painted maaaaany layers. I textured the rock backing with tinfoil and a stiff brush, and painted that even more. I got a sooty finish by using crushed black chalk pastels.
The hearth was tricky. I actually made all of the bricks individually from polymer clay and glued them down to a cardboard base. The herringbone pattern was daunting, but I’m glad I went for it! I want to have lots of texture in this project.
I attempted the gargoyle three times, and sure enough, third time’s the charm! I put him on top of a stone tile pillar, made the base from cardboard and elastic, and EVEN MORE layers of paint happened to get the marble effect. I’m especially fond of the blue tigers’ eye bead I found for the little guy to hold. He’ll be a little protective spirit for the house (once it’s built).
Fireplace, gargoyle-topped pillar, shelf… now I just need an actual house to go around them. I did some measuring and mathing (yep, it’s a thing) and discovered that I’ve been building in 1:18 scale, which is absolutely absurd. So being that I’m between standard scales, I’m just going to have to build the house myself.
I was able to go through a friend’s craft room to find some wood pieces. I got a suitable base, craft sticks for floor boards, and some miscellaneous bits. I have a general idea for the layout, and the floor is happening now. This will be a slow build if I can keep from crafty binges, but it will be nice to indulge in a teenie tiny world, where there’s never dog hair on the couch, the dishes are always done, and an 8-foot gargoyle statue watches over hearth and home.